1. Sign up for NaNoWriMo, and be sure to register as a "Young Writer."
2. Fill in your profile information. Click on "My NaNoWriMo" and you'll see three options on the left-hand menu bar:
- Click on "Edit Author Info" to tell us more about you.
- Click on "Edit Novel Info" to tell us more about your novel and set your word-count goal.
- Click on "Edit Author Settings" to upload a photo, create your forum signature, and update your time zone.
- If you're not sure of your target, try our new Word-Count Goal Calculator!
- Note: The deadline for changing your word-count goal is 11:59 PM (your local time) on November 24, before winning starts.
6. On November 1, begin writing your novel on your computer or with a pen and paper.
7. Write like crazy. When you're not noveling, look for regular pep talks and news updates to keep you motivated.
- Note: You must complete this step by 11:59 PM (your local time) on November 30 in order to officially win.
10. On December 1, celebrate your month of noveling. Collect your winner or participant certificate, and check out the "I Wrote a Novel! Now What?" page. Most importantly, congratulate yourself on a job well done.